I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting back and marveling at how much I’ve grown just in the last few years…. I have extreme deep love for the girl I once was… The one who fought with everything she had so that I could be the person I am today… So I decided to write her a letter….
- Enjoy the little things.
- Don’t lose faith. Loss happens but life is still good.
- Listen to your dads silly jokes. He won’t be around forever…
- Figure out what you want to do with your life before you rack up probably literally a million dollars student loans….
- Surely, we are all charmed by your quick Wittiness… but perhaps you could dial it back a few hundred notches…. not everyone enjoys that much sarcasm…
- Don’t hold grudges. They manifest in the body and give you physical aches and pains!
- Don’t judge people. You don’t know them or their journey.
- Don’t become offended so easily.
- Stop taking random college classes that don’t connect to your major…. seriously… you thought it would be cool to try to learn to draw in the middle of your degree!?
- You’re not “gross” or “unlovable” you’ll have an amazing fiancé when you turn 30 and it’ll be perfect because you’ve had 10 years to figure yourself out first.
- Start doing yoga now
- Anxiety is not who you are. It’s just something you’re dealing with.
- Flex that Forgiveness muscle and keep it in shape as you get older. Remember… Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself…. It’s not for them.
- Be gentle with others. Don’t take their bad day personally. They’re not being “rude to you”, they are just not seeing beyond their struggles right now. We’ve all been there.
- Some things just aren’t about you. Acceptance is much easier to digest than bitterness.
- In 10 years… you’ll still struggle. Becoming an adult doesn’t magically make you “put together” being human is a lifelong endeavor
- Make an effort to be kind to others. But don’t be offended if they don’t reciprocate. Like my Dad always said…. you can’t help miserable people. Let it go.
- Also as my dad used to say… he who angers you owns you. Never allow yourself to belong to anyone but you.
- Don’t hold yourself back because you’re afraid of what they’ll think. They don’t care. They’re not thinking of you… and if they are judging you…. than they clearly don’t have. Handle on who owns them…
- Your mental health is a thing and you should take care of it.
- You actually do use math… you’ll own a business one day… pay attention!
- Stop Procrastinating.
- Slow down and enjoy life. There is no reason to be in a rush.
- Start Learning discipline and structure young.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY….
Don’t change a damn thing! Everything you’ll do from this moment until you turn 30 lead you into the amazing life you have today!
Make the mistakes. Take the wrong classes. Never stop learning. Never stop exploring. You are not a mess. You’re not a failure. You are just a crazy beautiful girl finding her way to being a crazy beautiful woman. Keep breathing. You matter.
- You’ll dream of changing the world one day…. start with yourself.
One extra for the road….
When in doubt….always choose love.